Have you tried cheese rabokki before? If you are a Korean food fanatic, then most probably you have tried tteokbokki before. It is one of the most popular and most loved Korean spicy rice cakes that are normally sold as street food. But maybe not rabokki.
After since ddeokbokki was originated, there were quite a few varieties or different styles of spicy Korean rice cakes being created, such as the stir fry, dumplings, seafood and ramen.
In case you would like to cook some yourself, it is really not difficult to learn how to make tteokbokki, as long as you have the necessary recipe and ingredients.
Out of the many topokki recipes introduced, one that always flash across my mind is the Cheese Rabokki (Korean ramyeon noodles).
So besides hard-boiled eggs, tteok and vegetables that are the main ingredients of the original rice cakes, Korean ramen noodles and cheese are exclusively added into this tasty Rabokki recipe.
What you need is some mozzarella cheese, 1 pack of instant noodles and rice cakes. If you would like to grate your own cheese, you can make use of Breville BFP800XL Sous Chef or some other top-rated food processors to do the job.
Also if you read most of the rice cake recipes that I use, you will realize that anchovies and kelp are the secret ingredients that make the whole dish stands out.
However in this rabokki recipe, it is really up to you whether you want to make your own broth or use the spicy powdered pack that is inside the packet of noodles. If you would like to save some time, you may consider using the powdered pack.
Either way, the quality of the final product should still satisfy our taste buds and shouldn’t be too far off the standards.
If you have any feedback about the recipe or have any suggestions, please raise them up. And if you think this recipe could be of use to your friends, please help to share!
So let us enjoy cooking the rabokki!
- 1 packet Korean ramyeon noodles (Shin Ramen brand)
- 1/2 pound rice cake (tteok), sliced into 2-inch long
- 300g Mozzarella cheese
- 2 scallions, sliced into 2-inch long
- 100g cabbage, sliced
- 1 chicken hotdog, sliced
- 1/2 sliced onion
- 3 tablespoons Gochujang chilli paste
- 2 teaspoons Gochugaru chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 stalk carrot, sliced
- 1 packet spicy powder (inside noodles pack)
- 1 tabespoon light soy sauce
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced half
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- First soak the rice cakes in a bowl of water to thaw and soften them.
- Get a pan or skillet. Add in the water, gochujang, gochugaru, sugar, garlic, pack of spicy powder and soy sauce into the pan.
- Turn to medium-high heat and bring to boil. Lower the heat to simmer and stir them well.
- When the sauce is ready, add in the rice cakes, cabbage, hotdog, sliced onions and carrot. Keep the heat at medium and stir them for around 5 to 7 minutes.
- When the rice cakes are turning softer, add in the Korean ramen noodles, scallions and hard-boiled egg. Stir for another 5 minutes to cook the noodles.
- Transfer the rabokki noodles from the pan into a bowl. Place the mozzarella cheese on top of the noodles while it’s still at a high temperature so that the cheese can melt.
- Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top of the ramen noodles if you like.
- You have achieved the final product and are now ready to enjoy the cheese rabokki! Hope you enjoy the recipe!
Photo Credits: Charistina Liem
Hope you have enjoyed this cheese rabokki recipe! Please share it with your friends if you think it’s good 🙂